EASTER Sunday, April 12, 2020
Welcome to Trinity Wellsprings Church.
Video will be available Sunday morning at 9:00 am (and anytime afterwards).
We're thankful to be able to have this Online Worship Experience together with you. You can also find us on Facebook, or, if you'd rather watch the video above directly on YouTube via your Smart TV, please search for Trinity Wellsprings Church. For different ways to GIVE either ONLINE or through the MAIL, go to ONLINE GIVING. For Families with Children, click on the image JAMLAND KIDS ONLINE EXPERIENCE.
Living Room Liturgy
"How is Daily Resurrection Power Experienced?"
Before the Worship Service:
Lectio (Read the Text with a Listening Ear)
New Testament Reading: Read Romans 6:4-5
We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.
Oratio (Pray by Yourself or with your Family)
- Lift up to Jesus in prayer one reason you are thankful today.
Oh Jesus, we thank you that you defeated sin, death, and the devil on the cross. And you now reign as victorious in life through your resurrection from the dead. Help us to live into our deepest, most authentic self through the cross and resurrection of Jesus. Amen.
Connecting in Worship
After the Worship Service
Meditatio (Meditate & discuss from the Sermon)
1. FRAGMENTATION: What do you think about the image and the fragmentation that often occurs in the Christian life?
2. IDENTITY: Of Pastor Jason’s three main points – which speaks most powerfully to you? Why?
- Daily Resurrection Power is experienced through your union with Christ.
- BE who you are…in Christ
- Daily Resurrection Power is experienced by faith.
- BELIEVE who you are…in Christ
- Daily Resurrection Power is experienced in the battle against sin.
- FIGHT for who you are…in Christ
“Your daily resurrection power is experienced through your union with Christ.” How does living out of your “true self”/your “most authentic” self /your identity “in Christ” change your life?
3. DEEP DIVE DOCTRINE:
10 Verses of our Union with Christ:
- You are a new creature “in Christ”: 2 Cor. 5:17
- You are crucified “with Christ”: Gal. 2:20
- Your life is hidden “with Christ” in God: Col. 3:3
- Your redemption is “in Christ”: Rom. 3:24 (see also Eph. 1:7)
- You are chosen “in Christ”: Eph. 1:4-5
- Your eternal life is found “in Christ”: Rom. 6:23
- You are free and not condemned “in Christ”: Rom. 8:1-2
- You are raised with Christ in the heavenly places “in Christ”: Eph. 2:6
- You are sanctified and called holy “in Christ”: 1 Cor. 1:2
- You persevere as a saint unto glory “in Christ”: Rom. 8:38-39
The Pauline phrases “in Christ”/“with Christ”/“in him”/“with him” is language of our “union with Christ”. But there are also four groups of metaphors in the New Testament that communicate our union with Christ
- Body (see: Rom 12:4-5; 1 Cor. 6:15-16; 10:16-17; 11:29; 12:12-27; Eph. 1:22-23; 2:14-16; 4:4, 11-13, 15-16; 5:23, 29-30; Col. 1:18, 24; 2:19; 3:15
- Temple & Building (see: 1 Cor. 3:9, 16-17; 6:19-20; 2 Cor. 5:1; 6:16; Eph. 2:21-22)
- Marriage (see: Rom. 7:1-4; 1 Cor. 6:15-17; 2 Cor. 11:2-3; Eph. 5:22-23)
- New Clothing (see: Rom. 13:12-14; 1 Cor. 15:51-54; 2 Cor. 5:1-4; Gal. 3:26-27; Col. 3:9-10, 12; Eph. 4:20-24; 6:10)
Considering all of Paul’s verses and the various metaphors for our “union with Christ” why is our being “united to Christ” so important for the Christian life?
4. OUR BATTLE WITH ISSUES: Sometimes we try and battle our sin issues by our own strength. John Calvin says this: “We must understand that as long as Christ remains outside of us, and we are separated from him, all that he has suffered and done for the salvation of the human race remains useless and of no value for us.” (Calvin; Institutes, i.1) Union with Christ is a way of battling our sin issues from “the inside out” through relying on the strength of Christ and our identity in him. How does that help you with the issues that plague your own life?
5. What does it mean to you that you’ve been “raised with Christ”? (Ephesians 2:5-6: “…even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ –by grace you have been saved—and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus”; see also Rom. 6:5)
Contemplatio (Contemplate the Love of God in Christ for you.)
Spend 2-3 minutes in silence meditating on this verse: “For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.” (Col. 3:3). Read the verse slowly and out loud 3-4 times. Then remain quiet before God.
Afterwards: share your experience of what you think the verse means for you with the group.
Oratio (Respond in Prayer to God)
Respond to God in prayer, thanking God for sending Christ and thanking God for your own union with Christ. You are united to Christ in his crucifixion (on Good Friday) and you are united to Christ in his resurrection (on Resurrection Sunday). You are deeply and personally and experientially and spiritually united to Christ. Thank God for it.
Donatio (Give to the Work of the Lord)
Generosity springs from God’s generous love and mercy to us. As Christians, we recognize that no organization on the planet has changed the world in deep, eternal, transformative ways like God has used the local church.
Operatio (Put it into Practice)
What is one thing that I can meditate on or put into practice this week to live more fully for Christ?
For Families with Children:
Click on the Image below and talk with your kids about the Bible Lesson this week!
The Biggest Story - Animated Short Film
Also,many of you have already read the book, now you and your children can watch the movie! Until April 12, it's free to watch The Biggest Story Animated Short Film. Based on the best-selling book by Pastor Kevin DeYoung, the 26-minute film was created to show kids how all those classic stories in the Bible connect to Scripture’s overarching message about God’s glorious plan to redeem his rebellious people. Pop some popcorn, gather your family, and enjoy! (And feel free to share this info with your friends!) https://www.crossway.org/articles/free-to-stream-the-biggest-story-animated-video/
Thanks for participating in this “Living Room Liturgy” with your Church family! God Bless!